Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Saturday, November 26, 2016

One Day of Thanks


I try to be a thankful person on a daily basis.  Some days, I actually succeed.  I think it’s good to have at least one day each year that I am reminded to be thankful, and so I was yesterday.
Northern Star under sail.


I am thankful that I have a place to live.  

Many people don’t, or at least, not a place where they can feel safe to lay down their heads at night.  


Ice cream with new friends in Maine
I am thankful that I have plenty of food.  

Every single day I have enough. I have never ever really been hungry, although I’ve claimed to be plenty of times.  In my world, eating is for enjoyment first, survival second. There are too many who cannot say that.

I am thankful that I have people that love me, and people that I love.  

with my sister, Betz
These people forgive me when I mess up, or even when I’ve forgotten something that’s important to them.  I try not to take advantage of that fact, but I do want to acknowledge how fortunate I am to have those merciful people in my life. Because of them, I can be alone and not feel lonely.
Bahamian flower

I am thankful that I am healthy.  

with Carl and Jax, Titusville, FL

I admit that I don’t work at it much.  I should probably be ashamed of myself for taking my good health for granted so much of the time.  Some day I’ll look back on today and remember that I was blessed with good health for a really long time in my life.  And that I could have taken better care of myself.  


Daughter, Liz, son Pete and his girlfriend, Itzel
I am thankful that I have many things to look forward to—friends and family to spend time with,  making new friends, exploring interesting new places, learning to do new things.  There’s something good to look forward to every morning when I wake up.  


a friend's boat at sunset


I am thankful that the world is breathtakingly beautiful.  
SuperFund site, Connecticut

There are places where the beauty is harder to find--places where we have squandered the natural beauty for industry or allowed areas to fall into utter blight.  
Jax cleans out the peanut butter jar to recycle

If I can do at least a little bit to help keep the world beautiful, I will.  I can live with a smaller carbon footprint, I can take only what I can actually use, and I can recycle—every little bit helps.  I want my grandchildren to see the same beautiful world that I do.

Folk artistry, Charleston, S.C.

I am thankful that I live in a country that values and protects free speech.  I am thankful that this country has made so 
many gains toward taking care of its’ most vulnerable people in the last 100 years.  I admit though, that I have some worries about our country’s future.  
Site of 9 murders in Charleston Baptist church. 

I want there to be a place for everyone in our world.  I don’t need everyone to look like me, believe as I do, or agree with the way that I think.  But I DO fervently hope that there will always be room for everyone to speak and be heard, no matter their persuasion.  

And I am thankful for clean laundry.  Mine is just about done.  May you all have a thankful day today, tomorrow and the days after.  



No comments: