Day 1: Problem and Assessment.Two weeks ago we discovered more than a gallon of water in the anchor locker of our hard-bottom AB dinghy. The entry point was unclear although the hardware attachments for raising the dinghy were suspicious. My husband motored the dinghy over to the dinghy dock at the marina where we had arrived only the day before, and we pulled it out of the water. After removing the outboard my husband noticed an additional plug low on the stern. When it was removed, water gushed out of the space between the hull and the dinghy floor. "Huh," I thought, "Interesting."
Tip #1.Appropriate Attire: I wore a white balaclava-type covering to protect my skin and hair from the fiberglass dust, and leather gloves to protect against sharp edges of broken fiberglass. I wore a respirator mask, of course and protective eye gear. Thankfully, the air temperature was only in the 70’s because that get-up was hot, and it was difficult to breathe, especially when my lungs were constricted by cranking my torso into a modified pretzel.
Day 3: Supplies purchased.
Day 4: Applying Epoxy.I cut the fiberglass cloth into several small pieces (none larger than 8" X 12". I thought those would be of reasonable size to manage after they were wet with epoxy. In such a small enclosed workspace. it seemed that the smaller the pieces were, the better. For the next part it was very helpful to have a partner. See Tip #3. I “painted” the epoxy over the area where I would apply the fiberglass fabric.
|Cut away excess foam and cleaned surface again.|